Wednesday, December 21

Poetry with rowan leaves


Rowan leaves with hole by Andy Goldsworthy

I learn a lot just by looking at pictures of Andy Goldsworthy's sculptures. I'm not just talking about the technical side of making 3D art, but also about myself and my attitude as an artist.


The experts categorize his work as ephemeral and land art. He is even sometimes considered as a photographer because none of his original works survive and he only has photographs to exhibit. His sculptures consist of natural materials—from dead leaves, slabs of stones, snow and ice, and thorns—without the benefit of glue or nails to hold them together. Goldsworthy assembles them in their natural habitat and leaves them there, at the mercy of nature, to be withered away by the wind, sun, and rain. As with most ephemeral art, he speaks about the fragility of life and of time. He also draws attention to the place itself where it all 'happens.' Most people, however, overlook his extraordinary sense of play. He does display his sense of humor, his sense of irony, and demonstrates his belief in his creative process. I've seen videos of him working and, boy, that man has patience! One misplaced pebble and his work crumbles, and he shrugs it off and starts all over again. And he doesn't even have to take the finished product home to enjoy it.


Like I said, I learn a lot just by looking at his stuff. I admire his vision, his calm endurance, and tenacity to stay with his work. He's a visual poet. Like most young artists (I am not referring to age here but of experience. I don't like the word 'amateur'), I struggle with the idea that it's okay not to have a masterpiece at the end of a working day. Especially now when most people expect me to snap my fingers and have 10 sculptures to exhibit. It's all about experimenting, of going with it, and, most of all, playing. I succumb to pressure sometimes and get really uptight and just focus on the final outcome. I kill my child even before it is born. I forget to just listen to the work, to gently coax it to come out and not prematurely drag it out spitting, screaming and crying into my outside world. Patience is indeed a virtue. And so is kindness. Particularly when it's with dealing with yourself.

*Note: Not all of Goldsworthy's recent sculptures are short-lived. His 'semi-permanent' works are scattered all over England. That's good to know because that means I still have a chance of seeing one of his works up close.

2 Comments:

At 07 April, 2008 21:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. Nice writing. It's good to see people approving of his work

 
At 18 October, 2010 01:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out; http://www.fugate-wilcox.info

 

Post a Comment

<< Home







Creative Commons License

All images and content, unless otherwise noted, belong to and are the property of Stephanie Palallos. I’m just an artist doing my best to create. Please don’t steal my work! :)