Friday, January 27

Broken Flowers

I would like to see "Broken Flowers" by Jim Jarmusch. I’ve only seen two of his films so far, but I’m becoming a big fan of his work. I saw "Coffee and Cigarettes" last year. Most of my friends begged me to watch it because, well, I WAS coffee and cigarettes. Thank God I gave in. It was amusing to see Iggy Pop and Tom Waits together. And Cate Blanchet. And Steve Buscemi (Mr. Pink!).

(BTW, I've got a couple of strange Steve Buscemi anecdotes—One of my good friends LOVES Steve. I mean really, really IN LOVE with him. I’ve been told that she gasped with excitement when she saw the trailer of "The Island" when it first came out, and it wasn’t because of Sean Bean or Ewan McGregor. And then, I have another good friend, a woman, who once dated a guy who said that she looked like Buscemi in Con Air. Wasn’t he a child molester in that one? He couldn’t remember his name at first so we thought he was referring to John Malkovich. Hmmm... both male (and convicts in that movie, I might add) but at least they are great actors. She didn’t stick around long enough to find out if he was a fan or not. Love may be blind but I think it’s better not to find out that you can be mistaken for a man when you are out on a date. Maybe these two ladies should meet; they will probably have a lot of things to talk about.)

Back to Jim Jarmusch. Yes, I ended up loving "Coffee and Cigarettes." It was dark and surreal and different. Nothing really happened (no CGIs nor million dollar sets), but I felt, for a couple of hours, as if I was there hanging out with the stars. Actually, more like getting high on coffee and cigarettes with my weird, manic friends. That could have been us discussing the pros and cons of looking like Steve Buscemi. Bill Murray was also there. Which makes me want to see "Broken Flowers." It got luke-warm reviews from the critics, but I’m still curious to see it. I heard it’s already out on DVD. I’ll hunt for a copy along with other Jarmusch films.

2 Comments:

At 23 April, 2008 00:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alô! Then you're going to love "Stranger than Paradise". It's Jim Jarmusch at his finest: black and white and brilliant. I saw it in my teens and have been combing my friendly pirated dibidi shops for a copy for years to no avail. (And unlike his later films, you won't catch this on early-morning HBO.) Hope you have better luck. :)

 
At 25 April, 2008 18:04, Blogger Steph said...

Cool!!! Will look for it. My suking Dibidi store disappeared... I'll have to look for a new one soon!

Thanks, Nic! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home







Creative Commons License

All images and content, unless otherwise noted, belong to and are the property of Stephanie Palallos. I’m just an artist doing my best to create. Please don’t steal my work! :)